The fourth assignment in the Creative Commons course is a fun one! It asks us to create some type of a remix for a course that we teach.
After browsing through some examples from my peers in the course, I came across this great creative example that Helen DeWaard made: a course trailer. I thought that was a brilliant idea, and wanted to see if I could figure out how to make something similar.
- use at least 5 CC-licensed works (one of our own is fair game!)
- include proper attribution
- make sure all of the licenses can be used together
The last point is a really important one when you are making remixes. It also can be tricky to figure out. Thankfully, there are some helpful resources to help all of us with that part:
- game for Finding & Using Open Educational Resources (Flash-based)
- I first came across this game in the Becoming an Open Educator course. I think I must have played it at least a dozen times to begin wrapping my head around all of these licenses….
- images like CC Smoothie and CC TV Dinner by Nate Angell
- (I looked for these images on Flickr and the web…not sure if Nate has shared them elsewhere)
- CC Adapters License Chart
- CC License Compatibility Chart – this is an easy, at-a-glance type chart to see if the license/s for the content you want to use can legally be remixed into a new creation
With the assignment descriptions in mind (and my course syllabus finally completed!), I set out to figure out how to make a course trailer. I found quite a few resources to help with the content.
- Video course trailers – neat idea to how then integrate the video in specific areas of the online course, as well as links to examples
- Best practices: Creating video course trailers – helpful storyboard outline for creation process
- Course trailers – more examples!
- Course video trailers: coming soon to a classroom near you – I’m partial to this one as it’s a course blog
Based on the stoyboard outline I found, I started brainstorming what to say. I wasn’t sure if I would be talking or just have text & images on the screen with background music. The audience for the video will be students who are already enrolled in the class, rather than a video designed to encourage enrollment. After I had a rough outline of what to include, I moved on to looking for some images.
About a week ago, I created a sneak peek syllabus, a course banner, and YouTube channel art with images from the Noun Project + Canva. All of those steps made finding images was somewhat easier. My first place to look is always Flickr. Using the ‘modifications allowed’ in the search settings, I was able to find a few images that worked and added them to the Google slide deck, along with the image attributions. I found out how to make a rolling credit outro thanks to this video. After the slides were finished, I downloaded them as a PPT file to set up the animations.
I planned to do some minor edits and adjustments in the YouTube editor, including adding a music track that I found via Free Music Archive. I finished the animations, saved the file as an mp4, and uploaded it to my YouTube channel. I then found out that you can’t upload audio to YouTube: you are limited to its audio library. boo. I edited the text, adjusted the timings (which was too long anyways), and repeated the process again. I modified the license and rights attribution setting on the video to include the Creative Commons – Attribution option.
Update: I made some minor changes to the original video to prepare for spring courses.